MOORE HAVEN — The 2021 Chalo Nitka Festival and Rodeo are planned for March 5 and 6 in Moore Haven.
Started in 1948, this is one of Florida’s oldest continuous festivals - originally celebrating the paving of then Main Street in Moore Haven. Meaning “Big Bass” in Seminole Indian, “Chalo Nitka” showcases the local friendship with the Seminole tribe.
Chalo Nitka festival shirts are on sale at the city hall in Moore Haven.
The Chalo Nitka Bass Tournament will be on Feb. 27. If you wear a 2021 Chalo Nitka T-shirt and catch the biggest bass in the tournament, you can win an extra $100!
The Chalo Nitka Children’s Pageant will be Feb. 6. Registration will be virtual. For more information, call Vivian at 863-265-0039.
Fair week will be March 1-6.
This year’s festival events will include:
Friday, March 5:
• 9 a.m. Small Fry Fishing Contest registration (Chalo Nitka Park)
• 9:30 AM Small Fry Fishing Contest begins (Chalo Nitka Park)
• 11 a.m. Kids Day (Chalo Nitka Park)
Saturday, March 6:
• 7 a.m. 5K Run registration (Moore Haven High School)
• 7:30 a.m. 5K Run begins (Moore Haven High School)
• 7-9 a.m. Pancake Breakfast (Moore Haven Elementary Cafeteria)
• 10 a.m. Parade begins
• 11 a.m. gates open, midway opens (Chalo Nitka Park)
• 11:30 a.m. Flag Raising—G.C.S.O. Color Guard / MHHS & West Glades Bands
For more information, go online to chalonitka.com.