Comments may be posted on the newspaper’s Facebook pages, emailed to email@example.com or mailed to 313 N.W. Fourth Ave., Okeechobee, FL 34972.
Speak Out is a reader response column. Comments may be posted on the newspaper’s website or Facebook pages, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the newspaper office, 313 N.W. Fourth Ave., Okeechobee, FL 34972.
• “It was a beautiful day for the Speckled Perch Festival in Okeechobee, but my, what a short parade. No floats. No marching bands. No school groups. I was told the schools did not participate because it is their spring break. But what has happened to the businesses and civic groups? I remember when this parade was more than 90 minutes long. On Saturday it took less than 20 minutes for the parade to pass. The best part was the Cattlemen’s Association cowboys with their little herd of cattle. How do we get more participation next year?” -- Anonymous
• “Thanks all you who participated in the parade. Makes Okeechobee proud.” – Julie Hamm-Fetters
• “Love to go next year!” – Ricky Green
• “It’s a little frustrating that so many events are crammed into February and March and there isn’t much going on the rest of the year. I know we all want to plan events for the best weather, but wouldn’t it be great to have a festival or other special event in the fall?” – S. Smith
• “I’ve noticed an increase of scam posts in different Okeechobee pages in Facebook. The one with the lost son and several with hit and run dogs. Beware everyone. Thays how scammers collect your info.” – Mayra Dontae
• “Grand Prix Auto real life. Killing games, robbery games. Everything the kids play they attempt in real life.” – Mona Baker
• “I think if they had more things to do in Okeechobee for these kids, they won’t be like that,” Peggy Branam
• ”Apparently not enough to do in Loxahatchee/Palm Beach so he came here.” – Gregg Maynard
•”Other kids have the same ‘things to do’ and they don’t get into a high speed chase with cops.” – Dick Mottinger
• “When there were places for kids to go, nobody went.” – Lisa Marie
• “A 6-year-old takes a gun to school shoots his teacher in Newport News, Va. and no charges. Last night in the same area a 11-year-old shot a 17-year-old three times! But we will blame guns and other things but the real issues.” – Dempsey Gill Smith