LABELLE – The Hendry County Board of County Commissioners set the property tax rate at 7.75 mills at their Monday, Sept. 28, meeting in the County Commission Chambers in LaBelle.
One mill equals $1 in taxes for every $1,000 of property value.
In attendance were Chairman Mitchell Wills, Vice-Chair Emma Byrd, Commissioner Darrell Harris, Commissioner Michael Swindle, County Administrator Jennifer Davis, County Attorney Mark Lapp and Ad Interim Clerk Kimberley Barrineau. Commissioner Turner attended by phone.
The final budget of $70,257,833 was approved 4-0.
Four sets of project bids were approved 4-0:
• Bid No. 2020-25: CR 835 Curve Safety Improvements;
• RFQ #2020-17: Construction Engineering and Inspection Services for Sidewalk Construction on Old CR 78 from CR 78 to SR 29 in Hendry County;
• Bid No. 2020-31: Sludge Hauling Services for the Port LaBelle Utility System; and,
The multiple-item consent agenda was approved 4-0 with no changes. The agenda included: approval of meeting minutes; ratification of extending the local COVID-19 state of emergency; acceptance of the county administrator’s 2019 annual report; acceptance of a $2,800 grant award for emergency management from the state; and several public works items regarding the Airglades and LaBelle airports plus changes on various projects.
• Petition Number: RZ20-0003 - The applicant requested a rezone on the subject property from General Agriculture (A-2) to Planned Unit Development(PUD) for a mixed use development called Bixby Place. The petition was approved 4-0.
• Petition Number: PA20-0007 - The Hendry County Board of County Commissioners, represented by Margaret Emblidge, requested to amend the Hendry County Comprehensive Plan relating to the Future Land Use Element,specifically the residential density standards for the Agriculture Future Land Use Classification from 1 unit per 5 acres to 1 unit per 2 acres, subject to the existing zoning district standards for minimum lot size. The petition was approved 4-0.
• Petition Number:LDC20-0002 The Hendry County Board of County Commissioners, represented by Margaret Emblidge requested to amend the Hendry County Code of Ordinances, Chapter 1-7, Buildings and Building Regulations, specifically repealing Section1-7-3, establishment of wind speed line; and amending Hendry County Code of Ordinances, Chapter 1-58, Buildings and Building Regulations, Specifically Section 1-58-5, Technical Codes adopted by adding a new subsection 1-58-5(e), establishment of Wind Speed Line. The petition was approved 4-0.
Emblidge, spoke about a correction to the staff report, it was a request for an amendment to the fee schedule. Planning and Zoning has been working with the Property Appraiser’s office regarding lot splits and lot split applications. An agreement was reached on an application that both parties will use. The Property Appraiser’s Office’s stance was that the county should not be charging the $150 for the lot split review because of the time it takes staff to review these types of applications to insure that the split properties are build-able. County staff provided four options for the board’s consideration, number one being to make no changes to the process. The board opted to go with option number one.
Shane Parker, Public Works Director brought the following items before the board:
• Addendum to Airglades Airport Agricultural Lease, Parcel 5,6, 7 & 8 with United States Sugar Corporation and an addendum to Airglades Airport Agricultural Lease, Parcel 9 & 10 with United States Sugar Corporation;
• Hendry County Health Department - Change Order for hurricane impact windows at a cost of $145,130.60. The county will have to pay for this but will be reimbursed by a grant.
• LaBelle Airport land acquisition of the last remaining lot in the runway protection zone. CHL Homes is willing to trade a parcel of land for the lot in question.
All items were approved 4-0.
The next BOCC meeting will now be open to the public as well as livestreamed.