The 55th Annual Swamp Cabbage Festival opening ceremonies started at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 27 in Barron Park. Part of the opening ceremony was the folding of a flag that has flown over sites in LaBelle. Rolling Thunder of Naples conducted the folding ceremony. At the end of the ceremony the flag was presented to Myra Johnson, who was representing the American Legion 130 of LaBelle by Joe Easterly. Pictured from left to right folding the flag are Spider Tramtham, Jack Johannemann and Fred Tramtham. While they were folding the flag another member of Rolling Thunder told the audience about the cermony and what each fold of the flag meant.
Meaning behind the 13 folds
Military.com explains, the flag-folding ceremony represents the same religious principles on which our great country was originally founded.
- The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.
- The second fold is a symbol of our belief in eternal life.
- The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks, and who gave a portion of his or her life for the defense of our country to attain peace throughout the world.
- The fourth fold represents our weaker nature; as American citizens trusting in God, it is Him we turn to in times of peace, as well as in times of war, for His divine guidance.
- The fifth fold is a tribute to our country. In the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right, but it is still our country, right or wrong."
- The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
- The seventh fold is a tribute to our armed forces, for it is through the armed forces that we protect our country and our flag against all enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.
- The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor our mother, for whom it flies on Mother's Day.
- The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood. It has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that has molded the character of the men and women who have made this country great.
- The 10th fold is a tribute to father, who has also given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since he or she was first born.
- The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
- The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies God the Father, the Son and Holy Ghost.
- The 13th and last fold, when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, "In God We Trust."