HIGHLANDS COUNTY — The following column is the Road Watch report for Highlands County for the week beginning Sunday, Sept. 24, provided by the Florida Department of Transportation.
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
• US 27 from Glades County line to Polk County line: (Maintenance contract project) Crews will be mowing and picking up litter along US 27 northbound and southbound from the Glades County line to the Polk County line. Please watch for workers in the work zone and use caution in the area.
• US 27 from south of SR 70 to north of SR 70: (Construction project) Intersection improvements. Crews will be reconstructing the intersection with concrete pavement, resurfacing SR 70 and US 27 near the intersection, shoulder work, drainage improvements, signalization, and lighting, and signing and pavement markings.
1. Motorists should expect daytime and nighttime intermittent lane closures on US 27 and SR 70 near the intersection.
SR 70 westbound traffic has been shifted to the south side of SR 70.
2. The driveways for Circle K and the BP Station will be impacted while crews place concrete at the intersection. Motorists will need to access Circle K from SR 70 and BP from US 27. The Circle K driveway off US 27 will be utilized as an Exit Only and the BP driveway off SR 70 will be utilized as an Exit Only.
Estimated completion is summer 2023.
• US 98 from east of CR 621 to the Okeechobee County line: (Construction project) Crews will resurface US 98 from east of CR 621 to the Okeechobee County line, reconstruct US 98 in various areas, widen shoulders, replace guardrail and install signing and pavement markings. During construction there may be daytime and nighttime lane closures and traffic will be reduced to one lane in various areas; temporary signals will be installed to guide motorists. Please use caution in the area and watch for workers in the work zones. Anticipated completion is summer 2024.
• US 27 from Thunderbird Road to Golfview Road in Highlands County: (Maintenance contracts project) Crews will be repairing sodded shoulders from Thunderbird Road to Golfview Road. Motorists should expect intermittent shoulder closures on US 27 in both directions. This work should be completed by the end of September. Please watch for vehicles entering and leaving the shoulders and use caution in the area.
• SR 66 from US 27 to Hardee County Line in Highlands County: (Maintenance contracts project) Crews will be trimming trees from US 27 to the Hardee County line. Motorists should expect intermittent shoulder closures on SR 66 in both directions. Please watch for vehicles entering and leaving the shoulders and use caution in the area. This work should be completed by late September.
• SR 64 (Main Street) from South Florida Avenue to South Delaney Avenue: (Special use permit) The City of Avon Park will be hosting a 5K Run on Saturday, September 30, 2023, from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. SR 64 from South Florida Avenue to South Delaney Avenue will be closed during this time. Please follow detours and take extra caution in the area.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.