HIGHLANDS COUNTY — The following column is the Road Watch report for Highlands County for the week beginning Sunday, Nov. 12, provided by the Florida Department of Transportation.
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
• US 27 from Glades County line to Polk County line: (Maintenance contract project) Crews will be mowing and picking up litter along US 27 northbound and southbound from the Glades County line to the Polk County line. Please watch for workers in the work zone and use caution in the area.
• US 27 from South of SR 70 to North of SR 70: (Construction project) Intersection improvements. Crews will be reconstructing the intersection with concrete pavement, resurfacing SR 70 and US 27 near the intersection, shoulder work, drainage improvements, signalization, and lighting, and signing and pavement markings.
Motorists should expect daytime and nighttime intermittent lane closures on US 27 and SR 70 near the intersection.
Traffic will be shifted to the northbound lanes on US 27 beginning Sunday, November 19, 2023.
The driveways for Circle K and the BP Station will be impacted while crews place concrete at the intersection. Motorists will need to access Circle K from SR 70 and BP from US 27. The Circle K driveway off US 27 will be utilized as an Exit Only and the BP driveway off SR 70 will be utilized as an Exit Only.
Estimated completion is fall 2023.
• US 98 from east of CR 621 to the Okeechobee County line: (Construction project) Crews will resurface US 98 from east of CR 621 to the Okeechobee County line, reconstruct US 98 in various areas, widen shoulders, replace guardrail and install signing and pavement markings. During construction there may be daytime and nighttime lane closures and traffic will be reduced to one lane in various areas; temporary signals will be installed to guide motorists. Please use caution in the area and watch for workers in the work zones.
Motorists should expect Intermittent daytime lane and shoulder closures on westbound US 98 west of the Kissimmee River bridge to east of CR 621 while crews perform paving operations.
Anticipated completion is summer 2024.
• SR 70 near Old State Road 8: (Railroad work) South Central Florida Express will be updating the signals at the crossing on SR 70 near Old State Road 8. Please use caution in the area and watch for workers near the railroad crossing.
• US 27 at Lakeshore Mall entrance: (Construction) The right turn lane off US 27 to the Lakeshore Mall is closed; please use alternate entrances.
• CR 17 from Memorial Drive to North Forest Avenue: (Maintenance permit project) Crews will be adding aerial lines and underground utilities along Main Street (SR 17) in Avon Park. There will be a lane closure in this area. Please watch for workers in the work zone and use caution in the area.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.