COLLIER COUNTY — The Florida Department of Transportation plans roadwork on area highways during the coming week. Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones. Travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state. Roadwork planned this week includes the following:
• US 41/Tamiami Trail from Southwest Boulevard to Barefoot Williams Road: Maintenance permit project: Motorists should expect intermittent eastbound and westbound lane closures during daytime hours while crews construct a turn lane, weather permitting. Motorists should expect slow moving traffic and possible delays.
• US 41/Tamiami Trail at Castello Drive: Maintenance permit project: Motorists should expect intermittent southbound lane closures during daytime and nighttime/overnight hours while crews extend the turn lane, weather permitting. Motorists should expect slow moving traffic and possible delays.
• US 41/Tamiami Trail from Wooten’s Everglades Airboat Tours to Satinwood Drive: Maintenance permit project: Motorists should expect intermittent southbound lane closures during daytime hours from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays, while crews install a water main, weather permitting. Motorists should expect slow moving traffic and possible delays.
• SR 82/Immokalee from Gator Slough Lane to SR 29: Construction project: Crews are working to widen SR 82 from Gator Slough Lane to SR 29 from a two-lane undivided highway to a four-lane divided roadway, while allowing for a future six-lane roadway. The project also includes constructing 5-foot wide paved shoulders, which will serve as bike lanes, a 54-foot wide median, a 10-foot multi-use trail along the south side, and a 5-foot sidewalk along the north side. The intersection at SR 29 will be changed from a stop condition with flashing beacon to a roundabout. Motorists should expect intermittent lane closures through the duration of the project during nighttime/overnight hours from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. Estimated project completion is summer 2022. The Contractor is Ajax Paving Industries of Florida, LLC.
• SR 29 from North 1st Street to North 9th Street: Construction project: Crews are installing new pedestrian signals and constructing sidewalk, curb & gutter, as well as making drainage improvements on the north and south sides of US 29. Motorists should expect lane closures through the duration of the project during daytime hours from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Motorists and pedestrians should use caution while traveling in this area. Estimated completion is early spring 2021. The contractor is Wright Construction Group, Inc.