JACKSONVILLE — While Halloween may not look the same this year, the poison risks remain. As you celebrate spooky season with your family, your poison control center is providing some important safety tips.
“Parents will likely be focused on keeping their children protected from COVID-19 this Halloween, but it’s also important to keep kids safe from accidental poisonings,” said Dr. Dawn Sollee, director of the Florida/USVI Poison Information Center – Jacksonville. “From glow sticks and face makeup to dry ice and marijuana mix-ups, we want adults to be aware of all Halloween hazards.”
The Florida/USVI Poison Information Center – Jacksonville is offering advice to avoid poison perils during this year’s Halloween festivities:
Glow Sticks Are fun and bright — but don’t let kids take a bite
Poison centers receive the most calls regarding glow sticks/glow-in-the-dark jewelry in October.
• Remind children not to chew or break open glow sticks or other glow products.
• Glow stick liquid is minimally toxic in small amounts.
○ Can cause skin irritation .
○ Can cause mouth irritation and nausea if swallowed.
○ Eyes are especially sensitive to glow stick liquid.
Be careful with cosmetics
The primary concern with cosmetics and face painting products is allergic reactions and skin irritation.
• Only use non-toxic products intended for use on the skin.
• Throw away makeup that has expired.
• Test makeup on a small area of skin first (like an arm or leg) to check for a potential allergic reaction prior to applying it to the face.
• Remove makeup and colored hair sprays before bedtime, to prevent eye and/or skin irritation.
Treat or … trick?
A few reminders for the kids as they collect their candy.
• Some medicine and drugs can look like candy. Keep marijuana edibles out of reach to avoid mix-ups.
• Inspect candy and toys to avoid choking hazards.
• Remind children they should only eat treats that are in their original, unopened wrappers.
• Keep candy and chocolate up and away from pets. Candy with the artificial sweetener Xylitol in it can be deadly for dogs.
Stay cool — use caution with dry ice
It’s fun and adds to the spooky factor, but using dry ice incorrectly can lead to serious burns.
• Wear gloves when touching dry ice, to prevent frostbite.
• Don’t place dry ice directly in punch bowls or cups. It can burn the mouth and throat.
• Don’t store dry ice in an unventilated room and don’t close your car windows when transporting dry ice.
• Ingestion or skin exposure can cause significant damage.
The Florida/USVI Poison Information Center – Jacksonville is available 24 hours a day to provide free, confidential, non-judgmental information and treatment advice, including holidays. If you or someone you know has been exposed to a potentially harmful substance, call 800-222-1222.