PALM BEACH COUNTY — Palm Beach County has established a Special Needs Shelter Program to provide for citizens with certain medical conditions during a major emergency. The Special Needs Shelter is a facility with physicians and nurses on staff. It has auxiliary electrical power, is wind resistant, and not flood-prone. The shelter is not a medical facility and provides limited services. The shelter does not provide medication, dialysis, oxygen or oxygen concentrators. General food is provided.
Space at these shelters is limited and is based on need and established criteria. You must apply in advance by completing the form online at: discover.pbcgov.org/publicsafety/dem/Pages/Special-Needs.aspx or mail it to the Special Needs Coordinator at: 20 South Military Trail, West Palm Beach, FL 33415
You may be eligible if:
• You are dependent upon electricity for oxygen.
• You have minor health/medical conditions that require professional assistance.
• You need medications and/or vital sign monitoring, and are unable to do so without professional assistance.
If accepted, you will be notified and provided transportation to the shelters if needed. You will be provided additional information upon acceptance to the shelter.
• No pets are allowed in the Special Care Units. Make pet shelter arrangements in advance.
• If you are unable to return home, assistance will be provided for you. • Food is provided. Please make your own arrangements for any special dietary needs.