The Gulf Coast Research and Extension Center Virtual Field Day will take place on Wednesday, Feb. 10 in lieu of a South Florida Vegetable Growers’ Meeting.
This training was developed so that you can come and go as you please, choosing the sessions you wish to attend. CCA and CEU credits can be obtained by completing the pre-test, attending the meeting, and successful completion of the post-test (>70%). After the event, recordings and pre- and post-tests will be posted for those who cannot attend.
Register at: https://gcrecvirtualfieldday2021.eventbrite.com.
• 9 a.m. Dr. Jack Rechcigl, GCREC center director/professor
• 9:10 a.m. Dr. Scott Angle, IFAS vice president
Session 1 - Strawberry Presentations - Session 1 - pre-test link at: https://ufl.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1RAAsAsVfvZbTq6
• 9:30 a.m. Strawberry Breeding: Dr. Vance Whitaker, associate professor
Two new UF strawberry varieties
• 9:45 a.m. Strawberry Genetics: Dr. Seonghee Lee, Assistant Professor
Strawberry Tissue Culture and Cultivar Improvement
• 10 a.m. Economics: Dr. Zhengfei Guan, associate professor
Mexican Trade Updates
• 10:15 a.m. Session 1 Discussion: Lisa Hickey, Manatee Co. Extension
Session 2 - Strawberry Presentations - Session 2 pre-test link at: https://ufl.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eCH0M0gjMPKN0eG
• 10:30 a.m. Nematology Management: Dr. Johan Desaeger, assistant professor
Overview of chemical and non-chemical nematode management in vegetables and strawberries
Lunch break - 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
Session 3 - Vegetable Research Presentations - Session 3 pre-test link at: https://ufl.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0qurfRSuuy2DEtU
• 1 p.m. Tomato Breeding: Dr. Sam Hutton, associate professor
Breeding approaches to develop tomatoes for mechanical harvest
• 1:15 p.m. Tomato Breeding: Dr. Sam Hutton, associate professor
Progress in advancing bacterial wilt resistance for large fruited tomatoes
• 1:30 p.m. Tomato Genetics: Dr. Tong Geon Lee, assistant professor
Study of tomato genetics and applications in solving problem in tomato production
• 1:45 p.m. Session 3 Discussion: Craig Frey, Hendry Co. Extension
Session 4 - Vegetable Presentations - Session 4 pre-test link at: https://ufl.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_42d1R73xypZEku2
• 2 p.m. Weed Science: Dr. Nathan Boyd, Associate Professor
Effect of Chloropicrin and 1,3-dichloropropene Ratio and Rate on Pest Control
Session 5 - Additional Research Updates - Session 5 pre-test link at: https://ufl.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4OXVmIHHsH1NgJU
• 3:15 p.m. Soil and Water Science: Dr. Mary Lusk, assistant professor
Excess nutrients in Florida’s water - Where do they come from?
• 3:30 p.m. Geomatics: Dr. Amr Abd-Elrahman, associate professor
Using drone and ground images in phenotyping and precision agriculture applications
• 3:45 p.m. Horticultural Sciences: Dr. Shinsuke Agehara, assistant professor
Double-season hop production in Florida: How to grow hops in the subtropics
• 4 p.m. Session 5 Discussion: Craig Frey, Hendry Co. Extension
• 4:15 p.m. Closing remarks and CCA/CEU information: Craig Frey, Hendry Co. Extension