OKEECHOBEE — The community has demonstrated selfless generosity in donating items for the “Cancer Sucks Fund” to benefit a local woman. Sympathizers and supporters have been contributing things all during July at Back to Butch’s Bar, where friends and supporters are raising money to aid Okeechobee resident Patti Berglund, who is battling brain cancer.
So far, the list of items that will be available in the Chinese auction her supporters are hosting at the bar on Sunday, July 28, includes these among others (see pictures):
• Lightsey’s Restaurant, $50 gift certificate;
• KOA “Golf for 4” gift certificates;
• Ding-a-ling Deli, four $25 gift certificates;
• Reno motorcycle shop, Boss sound system for motorcycle;
• Cypress Eagles club, Days Inn gift certificate;
• Judith Austin, New America Physical Therapy, six one-hour therapeutic massages and a one-hour pet therapeutic massage;
• Fitness & Aquatic Center, three-month gym membership;
• Lisa Riggle, costume jewelry;
Among other donors are Taylor Creek Tire and Bill Fletcher of Jump Start.
Butch’s bar owner Jeffrey Kennedy is spearheading the effort and remarked that they’ve had big crowds for their weekend cookouts this month, which also have been raising funds. He expressed deep gratitude to all participants for their donations.
Mrs. Berglund is battling brain tumors. She recently was hospitalized but is home now, recovering after medical treatments.
Items or any other donations will be accepted through July 27. The bar’s address is 4870 U.S. 441 S.E., Okeechobee.