OKEECHOBEE -- Okeechobee County has $100,000 of funds are available for the Hurricane Housing Recovery Program (HHRP) for State Fiscal year 2022/2023.
Do you have a low-income household?
Did Hurricane Ian and/or Hurricane Nicole affect you?
Do you have a FEMA account number?
Did you know you might be eligible for Affordable Housing assistance?
The Okeechobee County SHIP Program has strategies that may be able to assist you!
• Purchase assistance: Funds allocated to this program will provide assistance to income eligible households to purchase existing homes. The county will provide down payment and closing cost assistance through deferred payment loans to eligible homebuyers that meet program requirements. The amount of assistance provided is based on the household income and actual need. All applicants must be pre-qualified for a mortgage prior to applying for SHIP assistance. Additionally, SHIP funding may NOT be used to purchase a mobile home.
• Rehabilitation of owner-occupied homes:: Funds allocated to this program will provide rehabilitation assistance to eligible owner-occupied dwelling units. Applicants must have homeowner’s insurance. The amount of assistance provided is based on the household income and actual need.
• Emergency repair: Funds may be awarded to eligible applicants in need of emergency repairs to their home. This includes structural system failures, damaged roofing, damaged windows, hazardous electrical wiring, plumbing issues, septic problems, A/C that is not functioning correctly, or any system failure that is an immediate health or safety hazard to the occupants.
• Eviction and foreclosure prevention: Funds will be awarded to very low income renter and owner households recovering from or experiencing a temporary hardship in need of assistance for eviction or foreclosure prevention for up to 3 months of past due rent or mortgage and late fees. Eligible hardships include but are not limited to: job loss or income reduction, unexpected vehicle repairs, illness, sudden medical expenses, or death of a family member residing in the household.
• Security deposit, first and last month’s rent: Funds will be awarded to very low income renter households in need of assistance for security deposit and first and last month’s rent.
Applications will be available and accepted at the office of the Housing Coordinator at the Historic County Courthouse, located at 304 NW 2nd Street, Room 105, Okeechobee, FL 34972 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. beginning Monday April 24, 2023 to Friday April 28, 2023 until all funds are encumbered.
Funds are awarded on a “First-ready, First-served” basis based upon income limits and the priorities identified in the Local Housing Assistance Plan.
2022 ELIGIBLE INCOME LIMITS:
Size Very Low Low Moderate
1 $21,250 $34,000 $51,000
2 $24,300 $38,850 $58,320
3 $27,350 $43,700 $65,640
4 $30,350 $48,550 $72,840
5 $32,800 $52,450 $78,720
6 $35,250 $56,350 $84,600
For more information, contact:
Jessica Schooley, Affordable Housing Coordinator, 304 NW Second St, Room 105, Okeechobee, FL 34972, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (863) 763-6441 ext. 5.