FORT PIERCE — Five Indian River State College (IRSC) HOSA students competed at the HOSA State Leadership Conference, which took place virtually March 25–27 and included 1,859 competitors and 186 advisors. The team won a new statewide event, HOSA Happenings, and students competed and earned recognition in individual events. IRSC HOSA Chapter Faculty Advisor, Emlyn Anderson, was named Outstanding Chapter Advisor (Postsecondary) to honor her leadership and dedication to students and the Health Science/HOSA partnership.
Follows are members of the IRSC award-winning HOSA student team with their individual achievements:
• Aeyanna Lucero (Okeechobee) — Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing — Clinical Nursing — Gold Medal
• Katy Stalter (Jupiter) — Associate Degree Emergency Medical Services — Nursing Assisting — Gold Medal
• Sophie Cairns (Vero Beach) — Associate Degree in Nursing — Medical Reading — Bronze Medal
• Alecia Lennox (Port St. Lucie) — Associate Degree in Nursing - Pathophysiology — fourth place
• Vera Sanchez (Port St. Lucie) — Bachelor’s Degree in Healthcare Management - Human Growth/Development — fourth place
“The student winners are diligent, driven and continue to support the mission of HOSA,” stated Emlyn Anderson, Master Instructor of Healthcare Management and HOSA Chapter Faculty Advisor at IRSC. “Since the beginning of the academic year, HOSA students have excelled in their Health Science programs and have volunteered over 1050 hours of community service, professional development, and leadership opportunities as of this date.”