OKEECHOBEE – Okeechobee County employees were honored for their years of service at the Jan. 12 meeting of the Okeechobee County Board of Commissioners.
• Library Specialist Library Jessica Jones was honored for 5 years of service. Jones was born and raised in Okeechobee, Florida. Before coming to work for the Okeechobee County Library, she volunteered at both the local animal shelter and the Library. Jones has an Associate’s Degree in Fashion Management and Design. Just as she started volunteering at the library at a young age, her daughters are now following in her footsteps.
• Larry Scott, meal route driver for Senior Services was honored for 5 years service. Scott was born and raised in Mount Sterling, Kentucky. He then transferred to the United States Postal Service where he retired as a maintenance worker. Mr. Scott enjoys watching all types of sports when he is not serving our County and is a vital member to the Senior Services
• Robert Simpson, ground maintenance supervisor with Facilities Maintenance, was honored for 5 years service. Simpson was born and raised in West Palm Beach, Florida before moving to Okeechobee in 1976. Before beginning his tenure with our Facilities Maintenance Department in 2017, Simpson was an Inspector for DRS Technology. Simpson has recently been promoted to grounds maintenance supervisor.
• Josh Shorter, operations supervisor at the Okeechobee Agri-Civic Center, was honored for 10 years service. Shorter is an Okeechobee native and graduate of Okeechobee High School. Shorter first came to Okeechobee County in March 2013 and worked as Park Maintenance Technician for the Facilities Maintenance department as well as an On-Call Event Technician for the AgriCivic Center. Mr. Shorter worked for O.U.A. for four years before returning to the County as a full-time employee in November of 2017 as the Agri-Civic Center’s Operation Supervisor.
• Josh Borgstrom, driver engineer with Okeechobee County Fire Rescue was honored for 15 years service. Borgstrom is an Okeechobee native and son of retired County Fire Rescue Lt. Arthur Borgstrom. After graduation from Okeechobee High School, he attended IRSC and obtained his Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and Firefighter II Certifications. He came to Okeechobee County in December 2007 and during his tenure with the County has obtained his Dive Rescue and Fire Officer Certifications. In August 2008, Borgstrom was promoted to Firefighter Paramedic after obtaining his Paramedic certification. In February 2018, Borgstrom was promoted to Firefighter Driver Engineer.