As of Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2022 at 1:00 p.m. Okeechobee County has these important updates:
• Okeechobee County is currently under a Tropical Storm Warning and Flood Watch. The Emergency Operations Center is currently at activation level 2: partial activation.
• This system is expected to produce tropical storm conditions to include heavy rain, flooding, sustained winds of 45-60 mph, and gusts of up to 75 mph. A tornado threat is expected during the overnight period as the storm moves through the area. The most significant impact to our area is expected from Wednesday 4 p.m. through Thursday 11 a.m.
• Two shelters are currently open.
A Special Needs Shelter at the Department of Health is located at 1700 NW 9th Avenue.
Registration is required at https://snr.flhealthresponse.com/
A General Population and Pet Friendly shelter at South Elementary is located at 2468 SW 7th Avenue. Pets are required to be registered with the County and provide a crate, up-to-date shot records, food for at least 3-5 days, water for the animal and a litter box if the pet is a cat.
• Waste Managementl suspended pick up operations today, Wednesday , at 1 pm. Waste management expects to resume pickup services on Friday and Saturday until caught up. Waste Management encourages residents to visit www.WMFLoridaStorm.com for real-time updates regarding
collection before, during, and after the storm.
• The Okeechobee County Sheriff Office has issued a curfew which will be in effect from 9 p.m. tonight through 7 a.m. tomorrow. All residents should be off the roads during this time.
• An information call line is open daily from 9 a.m. to 6:p.m. by calling 863-824-6888.