Speak Out is a reader response column. Comments may be posted on the newspaper’s website, southcentralfloridalife.com or Facebook pages, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the newspaper office, 313 N.W. Fourth Ave., Okeechobee, FL 34972.
• “FWC needs to do more to enforce the laws. The few people they ticket are just a drop in the bucket!” –M. Jones
• ”They need to do something about the ones throwing cast nets in these canals. If we have to buy a fishing license they should have to. When you’re fishing, they come right next to you and throw there cast nets. It’s so annoying,” –
• “FWC should come up to Taylor creek by 70. There’s always boats throwing them there.” – Bob Brandenburg
• “They’re at it all the time! Drive along 70 in St.Lucie or beeline down by Northlake. FWC just needs to ‘patrol’ and they’ll catch them in broad daylight. Not shy about cast netting!” – D.N. Haff
• “I wonder how much all these new laws the legislature passed will cost the taxypayers in fending off lawsuits. There are already lawsuits against the law that limits the power of local government to control new developments, the law that makes it more difficult to register to vote, and the especially crazy law that allows them to mix the waste from phosphate mines into the highway paving materials, which is a health hazard both for those working on the roads and to the general public. And of course they passed a law protecting the governor’s big campaign supporter from liability if one of his rockets kills somsone. What are these legislators thinking?” – Anonymous
• “Wow! The radioactive road bill passed. Unbelievable. Remember, radioactive is FOREVER! Once contaminated, water, soil, etc. Remains radioactive and carcinogenic.” – D.N. Haff