OKEECHOBEE — The “Big O Open” held its first tournament, in Memory of Les Tori, Saturday, May 4, under new director, Jim Newell. Fifteen teams participated in a nice day of friendly competition with the team of Donald Wildes and David Altman placing first, weighing in a total of 23.10 lbs. on a five-fish limit.
Second place went to the team of Phillip Thurman and Cody Farnham with 18.58 lb., third place to Leroy Bauer and Joe Wozar with 17.56 lbs., fourth place to Mike Zubricky and Joe Lewis with 17.50 lbs. and fifth place to Rodney Mellette and Dan Groover with 16.57 lbs. First Big Fish went to Donald Wildes and David Altman with 7.42 lbs. and second Big Fish went to Leroy Bauer and Dan Groover with 6.81 lbs.
Cash prizes were awarded for first, second and third and first Big Fish. Fourth, fifth and second Big Fish received gift cards generously donated by three local tackle shops, Okeechobee Fishing Headquarters, Garrard’s Bait & Tackle and Fast Break.
Future tournaments will be held the first Saturday of each month to begin at “safe light” with weigh-in at 1 p.m. at Okee-Tantie. The cost to participate is $50 per team with a 90 percent payout and the remaining 10 percent of this cost is donated to the Big O Teen Anglers.
Please come out next month, June 1!