Who/What: 23rd Annual South Florida Sweet Corn Fiesta, presented by the Western Palm Beach County Farm Bureau – Features include freshly harvested corn, live music, a green market, children’s games, corn shucking and corn eating contests, including the National Sweet Corn Eating Championship
Location: Yesteryear Village, 9067 Southern Blvd., West Palm Beach
Date & Time: Sunday, April 30, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
For more info: Call 561-996-0343 or visit their facebook page, www.facebook.com/SweetCornFiesta
Highlights of this affordable family fun day:
• Freshly harvested corn, grown locally and prepared hot and buttery, along with other summertime foods. Palm Beach County grows more sweet corn than any other county in the U.S. Local farmers cultivate more than 27,000 acres annually.
• Children’s games, rides and a large corn maze
• Green market, live music and contests in corn shucking and corn eating.
• Live music by the Andrew Morris Band and the Krystal River Band
• National Sweet Corn Eating Championship, presented and sanctioned by the International Federation of Competitive Eaters, Inc. (IFOCE). During this grueling yet quick competition, Major League Eaters from across the country challenge themselves by consuming Florida sweet corn ears for 12 minutes. At last year’s event, Gideon Oji was the grand winner by eating 54 ears. He and the other competitors will attempt to top Carmen Cincotti’s world record of 61.75 ears. The total prize purse is $6,100. 1st - $2,500, 2nd - $1,500, 3rd - $1000, 4th - $600, 5th - $300, 6th - $200.
Parking is free. Proceeds benefit agriculture education/advocacy and Glades area food banks.