OKEECHOBEE — The Big O Teen Anglers wrapped up their 2021 season with their annual end of the year banquet held at the Scott Driver Pavillion where our anglers, families and boat captains enjoyed a delicious dinner and dessert. Dinner found all of the family, friends, and captains enjoying a vast array of potluck dishes, casseroles, and wonderful pulled pork cooked by Randy Ellerbee.
After mealtime, the awards banquet was held where the following anglers received top awards:
13-19 Age Group
• 2021 Angler of the Year was Tanner Seabolt with 486 points, 71.12 pounds and a 6.57 pound Big Fish.
• Second place went to Ragyn Mohney with 480 points, 54.02 pounds and a 3.82 Big Fish.
• Third Place went to Kobey Hare with 442 points, 5.67 pounds and a 1.45 Big Fish.
• The Big Fish Award went to Cayden Durrance with a 7.97 pound bass.
9-12 Age Group
• 2021 Angler of the Year was Lathan Stokes with 449 points, 35.24 pounds and a 5.45 pound Big Fish.
• Second place went to Caden Ellerbee with 445 points, 33.14 pounds and a 4.41 pound Big Fish.
• Third place went to Lane James with 416 points, 48.83 pounds and a 4.58 pound Big Fish.
• The Big Fish Award went to Jacob Williams with a 6.03 pound Bass!
Let’s not forget who won the “Smallest Fish” award this year…..Waylon McLean weighing at 0.47 pounds!
A few other special highlights:
• Out of 386 bass caught throughout the year, only 14 dead fish were lost.
• Highest average weight: 13-19 age group — Tanner Seabolt with 2.45 pounds; 9-12 age group — Derrik Steinmetz 2.46 pounds.
• Most fish caught: 13-19 age group — Tanner Seabolt and Ragyn Mohney tied with 29 each; 9-12 age group — Lane James with 27.
• 27 Youth anglers caught 386 Bass with a combined total weight of 683.43 pounds.
Each year one boat captain receives a special award for his/her boat catching the most weight. This year that award went to Terry Seabolt with a nice total catch of 102.82 pounds.
The club, the anglers, and their parents would like to thank the sponsors for our 2021 season:
The club would like to give an extra special thank you to Doug and Sandy Vest of Pogey’s for allowing the use of their restaurant for meetings throughout the year.
Thanks also go to other sponsors Lake Okeechobee News, Garrard Bait & Tackle, Pogey’s Restaurant, Cam’s Mobile Marine, Okeechobee Fishing Headquarters, Triton Drywall Inc, Fast Break, Impact Landscaping & Irrigation, EnviroAg Land Services, Lakeshore Marine, David Daniel Cattle, Tri County Demo & Construction, LLC, Cody Wojcieszak, Eli’s Western Wear, Malissa Morgan, and Gro Logic Spreader Services.
We know and recognize that without the help and generosity of the above-mentioned sponsors, our club, the anglers, and our end of the year banquet simply wouldn’t be possible. These businesses pour time, energy, and their own money into future generations of anglers. We truly cannot thank them enough.
We would also like to thank the following 2021 volunteer boat captains: Terry Seabolt, Jim Newell, Billy Ellerbee, Josh Clay, David Mohney, Marc Williams, Justin Whidden, Adam Crum, David Diehl, Buster McMillan, Robert Hertzer, Raul Martinez, Scott and Kim LaFave, Randi Davis, Stephanee Betterley, Matt Davis and Paul Lynch.
Our captains are vital to the success of our club and the future of responsible fishing on our lake and surrounding lakes. They too, give of themselves voluntarily and tirelessly and give many of our anglers an opportunity they would otherwise never have. We thank each and every one of you from the bottom of our hearts.
Finally, we would like to thank those in our local community who come out to show your support at our fundraising events. Without the sponsor’s and public’s generosity, this club would not be able to continue to mentor these wonderful children and young adults.
Our 2022 season will begin on Jan. 29th, at Okee-Tantie Park. Weigh ins are at 1 p.m., so if you think your child would be interested in joining a great youth fishing club, please feel free to bring them to see a weigh in or contact Danielle at email@example.com or 561-436-8491. The kids are excited to start another year and we hope you make it a point to pick up the paper and read about their successes each month.
Big O Teen Anglers will hold an early registration this Friday, Jan. 21, in the Pogey’s parking lot at 7 p.m. If you would like to join for this season, please come by and see what we are all about.