How much water do you need for your hurricane supply?

Posted 7/1/21

NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is predicting another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season...

You must be a member to read this story.

Join our family of readers for as little as $5 per month and support local, unbiased journalism.

Already have an account? Log in to continue. Otherwise, follow the link below to join.

Please log in to continue

Log in
I am anchor

How much water do you need for your hurricane supply?


The Atlantic hurricane season extends from June 1 through Nov. 30.  NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is predicting another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season.  Forecasters predict a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.  However, experts do not anticipate the historic level of storm activity seen in 2020.

Do you know how much water you need during an emergency?

A safe drinking water supply is important during an emergency.  The Federal Drug Administration (FDA) and Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA) recommend that households store one to one and one-half gallons of water per person for a minimum of a three-day supply. For a family of four that is a minimum of 12 to 18 gallons of water.

Purchasing and storing an adequate supply can be costly and take up considerable space.  In addition, thin plastic water jugs can degrade over time, leaking and/or becoming contaminated.  To reduce costs, storage concerns, and ensure a safe water supply, consider sanitizing household containers for storing needed water.

DIY a safe water supply for hurricane season

DIY Containers: Sanitize household containers and fill with water when a storm is approaching.

  • First, wash the inside and outside of each container with soap and hot water.
  • Next, sanitize containers with a solution of 1 teaspoon of non-scented household bleach per quart of water.
  • Close the container tightly and shake well, making sure that the bleach solution touches all of the internal surfaces of the container
  • Let the container sit for 30 seconds and pour the solution out.
  • Finally, rinse thoroughly with plain clean water. Avoid using milk containers because they can be hard to clean.  Bacteria can grow quickly in a milk container, contaminating the water stored in it.  However, if there is no alternative, special care should be taken when sanitizing these containers.
  • After containers have been filled with clean water, label them with the words “Drinking Water” and mark the date of storage.  Direct heat and light can slowly damage plastic containers, resulting in eventual leakage, so they should be stored in a dark, cool, and dry place.
  • Lids should be tightly closed to prevent contamination. Store water away from gasoline, kerosene, pesticides, or similar substances because vapors from these materials can penetrate plastic.

How to store these emergency water supplies?

Water can also be stored in a freezer. Frozen water provides the added benefit of helping to keep frozen food cold for a longer time if power is out for an extended period and you can use in coolers to keep food cold and then drink once melted.

Use only plastic containers to store water in a freezer, as glass may not be able to withstand the pressure of expanding ice.

To minimize exposure to bacteria, open a container just before use and then refrigerate it if power is available.   If no refrigeration is available, keep the container up high, away from children and pets.   Use water from opened containers within 1 to 2 days if possible.

To learn more about hurricane preparedness, please watch the recordings on the YouTube channel UF/IFAS Extension: Water Resources

drinking water, hurricane, storage, how to store