Woman claims gunshots were actually fireworks

Posted 4/28/21

After shots were fired, a woman was charged with aggravated assault...

To Our Valued Readers –

Visitors to our website will be limited to five stories per month unless they opt to subscribe.

For $5.99, less than 20 cents a day, subscribers will receive unlimited access to SouthCentralFloridaLife.com, including exclusive content from our newsroom.

Our commitment to balanced, fair reporting and local coverage provides insight and perspective not found anywhere else.

Your financial commitment will help to preserve the kind of honest journalism produced by our reporters and editors. We trust you agree that independent journalism is an essential component of our democracy.

Please click here to subscribe.

Katrina Elsken, Editor-in-Chief, Independent Newsmedia

Please log in to continue

Log in
I am anchor

Woman claims gunshots were actually fireworks


OKEECHOBEE — After shots were fired near the Dollar General on U.S. 441 Southeast, a woman was charged with aggravated assault with the intention to commit a felony. On April 23 at approximately 4 p.m., Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Deputy Jamie Knapp was dispatched to the location. When she arrived, she spoke with the complainant who told her Christine Adams, 52, had pulled a gun on her because she was angry about something the complainant said.

The woman went on to say Adams was drunk and slapped her across the face before pulling out the gun. She said Adams said she was going to kill her and then pointed the gun at the ground and fired a shot. The complainant left the house and went to the Dollar General to ask for help, but remembering she had forgotten something at home, she went back to the residence. She said Adams fired the gun four more times before the complainant could get away.

When Adams was questioned, she reportedly told Knapp she was a felon and knew better than to have a gun. She claimed the noises heard were from black mortar fireworks she set off in the front yard. A search of the property did not yield a firearm.

Two witnesses reported seeing a gun and a third said she heard gun shots but did not see the gun. Knapp notes there was sufficient time between when the shots were fired and her arrival for Adams to get rid of the gun.

Adams’ bond was set at $15,000.