Have a scary Halloween, but not because of poisons

Posted 10/25/21

Your poison control center wants you to have a safe and happy Halloween.

This story requires a subscription for $5.99/month.
Already a subscriber? Log in to continue. Otherwise, click here to subscribe.

Please log in to continue

Log in
I am anchor

Have a scary Halloween, but not because of poisons

Posted

JACKSONVILLE — Spooky season is upon us and your poison control center wants you to have a safe and happy Halloween with your family and friends.

“Halloween is a fun and exciting time for kids, but it’s important to remind parents and caregivers to be aware of potentially dangerous situations,” said Dr. Dawn Sollee, director of the Florida/USVI Poison Information Center – Jacksonville. “Whether a child has bitten into a glow stick, gets a rash from face makeup, or someone gets burned by dry ice, we are available 24/7 to help with any poisoning emergency or question at 1-800-222-1222.”

The Florida/USVI Poison Information Center - Jacksonville is offering the following safety and trick-or-treating tips to avoid a Halloween “horror:”

Glow sticks are fun and bright — but don’t let kids take a bite
There is an increase in calls regarding glow sticks/glow-in-the-dark jewelry during October.
• Remind children not to chew or break open glow sticks or other glow products.
• Glow stick liquid is minimally toxic in small amounts.
• Can cause skin irritation.
• Can cause mouth irritation and nausea if swallowed.
• Eyes are especially sensitive to glow liquid.

Be careful with cosmetics
Avoid allergic reactions and skin irritation.
• Only use non-toxic products intended for use on the skin.
• Throw away makeup that has expired or has a bad smell.
• Test makeup on a small area of skin first (like an arm or leg) to check for a potential allergic reaction prior to applying it to the face.
• Remove makeup and colored hair sprays before bedtime, to prevent eye and skin irritation.

Trick-or-treating tips
After kids collect their candy, a few reminders:
• Some medicine and drugs can look like candy. Keep cannabis edibles out of reach to avoid mix-ups.
• Inspect candy and toys to avoid choking hazards and to ensure treats are in their original, unopened wrappers. Throw out any re-wrapped, home wrapped, partially wrapped or suspicious-looking candy.
• Keep candy and chocolate up and away from pets. Candy with the artificial sweetener xylitol in it can be deadly for dogs.

Stay cool — use caution with dry ice
Using dry ice improperly can lead to serious burns.
• Wear gloves when touching dry ice, to prevent frostbite.
• Don’t place dry ice directly in punch bowls or cups. It can burn the mouth and throat.
• Don’t store dry ice in an unventilated room and don’t close your car windows when transporting dry ice.
• Ingestion or skin exposure can cause significant damage.

The Florida/USVI Poison Information Center – Jacksonville is available 24 hours a day to provide free, confidential, non-judgmental information and treatment advice, including holidays. If you or someone you know has been exposed to a potentially harmful substance, call 1-800-222-1222.

halloween, poison control center, glow sticks, cosmetics, trick-or-treating, dry ice

Comments


X