FORT MYERS — Drive cautiously on wet roadways. Rain and standing water exist throughout Southwest Florida. It is important for motorist to drive as safely as possible during and after rain!
• WATCH OUT for slow-moving vehicles and increase following distance.
• REDUCE THE DISTRACTIONS in your vehicle. Turn off the radio and cell phone. Your full attention is required.
• TURN LIGHTS AND WIPERS ON. Florida law requires that if a vehicle’s wipers are in use, headlights must be on.
• SLOW DOWN. Keep a safe stopping distance between vehicles and avoid passing and/or changing lanes. Wet pavement can result in skidding and hydroplaning. Be patient and stay alert.
• TURN AROUND; DON’T DROWN. Never drive through flooded areas.
• SIGNAL TURNS well in advance and brake early as you approach a stop.
• BUCKLE UP every time you get in a vehicle, no matter where you are sitting, buckle up.