TAMPA — Florida gas prices are moving lower again after rising unexpectedly last week. The state average logged a new 2023 low of $3.16 per gallon on Monday. It then rose 8 cents per gallon by Wednesday. Fortunately, however, that upward trend immediately reversed course, as the state average declined 2-cents a day, through the past three days.
“Last week’s gas price hike didn’t make much sense, considering how oil and gasoline futures prices have steadily fallen through the past few weeks,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA - The Auto Club Group. “Either way, the jump at the pump was short lived and those gains were mostly erased by the weekend. Oil prices are now at multi-month lows, which should help keep gas prices low through the holidays.”
The price of crude has been on a 3-week streak of declines, falling 13% ($11) since late October. The price of oil continues to have a direct impact on pump prices, since oil is a key ingredient in gasoline. In late September, oil was trading at above $90 per barrel. Friday’s closing price was $77.17 – a $5 drop from the week before.
• Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach - Boca Raton ($3.37), Naples ($3.27), Tallahassee ($3.24)
• Least expensive metro markets – Crestview-Fort Walton Beach ($2.94), Pensacola ($2.97), Panama City ($3.02)
• Combine errands to limit driving time.
• Shop around for the best gas prices in your community.
• Pay with cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
• Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell’s Fuel Rewards program can save 30 cents per gallon on their first fill-up and 5 cents per gallon each additional trip to the pump. Click here for more information.
• Get a tune-up. Ensure your vehicle is properly maintained to optimize its fuel economy. Visit AAA.com/AutoRepair to find a certified repair shop.
• Find the lowest gas prices in your area by using the free AAA mobile app.
• Determine anticipated fuel costs for your trip by using the AAA’s Gas Cost Calculator.
• Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
• State and metro averages can be found here
AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES
(Price per gallon of regular unleaded gasoline)
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com. Every day up to 130,000 stations are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.
About AAA - The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America with more than 13 million members across 14 U.S. states, the province of Quebec and two U.S. territories. ACG and its affiliates provide members with roadside assistance, insurance products, banking and financial services, travel offerings and more. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 64 million members in the United States and Canada. AAA’s mission is to protect and advance freedom of mobility and improve traffic safety. For more information, get the AAA Mobile app, visit AAA.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.