Every day, seven people die in home fires, most often in homes without working smoke alarms. That’s why State Farm agents across Florida are teaming up with their local fire departments and / or elementary schools to promote Fire Prevention Week from Oct 3 – 9, 2021. This year’s campaign, works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe.
State Farm agents have delivered “Sounds of Fire Safety” and “Sparky the Dog” fire safety kits to over 2700 fire departments and elementary schools across the country. In Florida, 180 State Farm agents have delivered kits.
The “Sounds of Fire Safety” toolkit includes 1 large Banner, 15 Posters, and 100 of each: adult fire safety brochures, kids’ activity booklets, newsletters, stickers, magnets, and bags. The “Sparky the Dog” kits includes a large stuffed dog, an extra-large educator book, lesson plans and books for preschool – second grade children to take home.
• A continuous set of three loud beeps—beep, beep, beep—means smoke or fire. Get out, call 9-1-1, and stay out.
• A single chirp every 30 or 60 seconds means the battery is low and must be changed.
• All smoke alarms must be replaced after 10 years.
• Chirping that continues after the battery has been replaced means the alarm is at the end of its life and the unit must be replaced.
• Make sure your smoke and CO alarms meet the needs of all your family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities.
• Smoke detector placement and safety: https://www.statefarm.com/simple-insights/residence/smoke-detector-placement-and-safety
• Protect your home against common house fires: https://www.statefarm.com/simple-insights/residence/protect-your-home-against-these-common-causes-of-house-fires
For more information on fire prevention week and general fire safety information, visit www.fpw.org