GLADES COUNTY — The following column is the Road Watch report for Glades County for the week beginning Sunday, June 20, provided by the Florida Department of Transportation.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
• SR 78 in Lakeport at crossing with Herbert Hoover Dike: (Construction project) Crews will construct a temporary diversion road on SR 78. Work includes installing the temporary bypass road, signs and pavement markers. During the construction of the temporary road, no delays are to be expected. Once the road is ready, lane closures will be in place for the tie-in to the existing SR 78.
○ A new traffic pattern will be in place on SR 78 using the temporary diversion road. Signs will be placed in advance to warn motorists about the change in traffic pattern. Construction cross traffic will occur on SR 78.
○ The temporary diversion road will stay in place as long as required to perform the construction work on Herbert Hoover dike. When complete, the contractor will proceed with the restoration of SR 78 while the diversion lane is still in place. Please use caution in the area and watch for workers/flaggers in the construction zone. Estimated completion is summer 2021. The contractor is CWR Contracting, Inc.
• SR 78 from US 27 to the Herbert Hoover Bridge: (Construction project) Crews will be making improvements to SR 78 from US 27 to the Herbert Hoover Bridge. Improvements include milling and resurfacing SR 78, shoulder treatments, drainage improvements, installing guard rail, repairing bridge joints, installing traffic monitoring devices and signing and pavement marking. During construction, daytime lane closures will occur on SR 78, weather permitting.
○ Motorists may experience intermittent lane closures on SR 78 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday while crews perform guardrail and drainage work.
Please allow extra travel time and watch for construction crews in the work zone. Estimated completion is late 2021. The contractor is C.W. Roberts Contracting, Inc.
• SR 78 Lakeport from US 27 to Buckhead Ridge: (Maintenance project) Crews will be landscaping near the roadway from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, weather permitting. Motorists should use caution as crews work near and on the roadway.
• SR 78 Ortona at Cypress Branch Creek: (Maintenance project) Crews will be repairing ditch bottoms near the roadway from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, weather permitting. Motorists should use caution as crews work near and on the roadway.