MOORE HAVEN – The pavilion at the Ortona Cemetery will be named in honor of Glades County Commissioner Donna Storter-Long, in recognition of her service to the county.
At their Nov. 27 meeting, Commission Chairman Tim Stanley and Commissioners Tony Whidden, Jerry Sapp and Hattie Taylor voted in favor of the plan to honor Storter-Long.
Storter-Long served as a Glades County Commission since being appointed in 2004 by then Gov. Jeb Bush to finish the term of a commissioner who resigned. She was then elected in 2006, and retained the seat in subsequent elections.
In other business at the Nov. 27 meeting:
• During the public comments period, David Heflin of Ortona asked for speed bumps on Ortona Road and Williams Road.
• The board approved the final budget for Glades County Sheriff’s Office for 2022/2023 fiscal year of $8,782,032.42. It passed 4-0.
• The board approved the final budget amendments for fiscal year 2022/2023 which ended Sept. 30.
• The board approved a grant in the amount of $32,216.16 for E911 system maintenance.
• The board accepted a grant for $10,938 for replacement of the UPS unit from the Florida Department of Management Services.
• The board also accepted a grant for $25,000 for 911 VIPER System maintenance.
• The board voted to purchase a Motor Grader for $74,600 to replace the 1997 Caterpillar Grader. The Caterpillar Grader will be sent to auction.