COLLIER COUNTY — The following column is the Road Watch report for Collier County for the week beginning Sunday, April 18, provided by the Florida Department of Transportation.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
• US 41/Tamiami Trail at Lake Shore Drive: (Construction project) Crews are improving drainage on US 41 near Lake Shore Drive. Motorists should expect the outside northbound closed for the duration of the improvements. This week, crews will be preparing to install lane striping next week. The contractor is Ajax Paving Industries of Florida, LLC. Expected completion is spring 2021; weather permitting.
• US 41/Tamiami Trail from Southwest Boulevard to Barefoot Williams Road: (Maintenance permit project) Motorists should expect intermittent eastbound and westbound lane closures during daytime hours while crews construct a turn lane, weather permitting. Motorists should expect slow moving traffic and possible delays.
• SR 82 from Gator Slough Lane to SR 29: (Construction project) Crews are working to widen SR 82 from Gator Slough Lane to SR 29 from a two-lane undivided highway to a four-lane divided roadway, while allowing for a future six-lane roadway.
Motorists should expect intermittent lane closures through the duration of the project during nighttime/overnight hours from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
○ Motorists should expect a new designated eastbound right turn lane at the intersection of SR 82 and SR 29 starting Monday, April 19.
○ Motorists should expect a flashing traffic signal with a stop condition (stop sign) at the intersection of SR 82 and SR 29 starting on Monday, April 19.
○ Motorists should expect changing traffic patterns from Gator Slough Lane to SR 29.
The project also includes constructing 5-foot-wide paved shoulders, which will serve as bike lanes, a 54-foot wide median, a 10-foot multi-use trail along the south side, and a 5-foot sidewalk along the north side. The intersection at SR 29 will be changed from a stop condition with flashing beacon to a roundabout. Estimated project completion is summer 2022. The Contractor is Ajax Paving Industries of Florida, LLC.