Many are looking forward to celebrating a long July 4th weekend by heading out to the water in Florida. Whether it is a first time jet skier or an experienced water sporter, it is always important to remember that water sports can become deadly, especially when mixed with alcohol. In 2021, the United States Coast Guard (USCG) estimated there were 4,439 accidents which accounted for 658 deaths across the country. A busy holiday weekend could be catastrophic without safety precautions.
To make sure everyone celebrates Independence Day safely, State Farm is offering a few simple tips and a :15 second video as a reminder to have fun SAFELY.
• Inspect your equipment.
• If you aren’t familiar with the body of water, ask someone who is about areas to avoid.
• Avoid skiing in shallow water or on small or busy lakes.
• Wear a USCG approved life jacket. If you have a pet on a boat, they should have a life jacket, too.
• Don’t participate in high-speed sports in low-light or after dark.
• When jet-skiing, keep the ignition safety switch lanyard on your wrist or hooked to your life jacket. This cuts power to the engine if you fall off.