OKEECHOBEE COUNTY — The following column is the Road Watch report for Okeechobee County for the week beginning Sunday, April 18, provided by the Florida Department of Transportation.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state.
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
• US 98/441 (SR 15/700) at SE 18th Terrace: (Construction project) Crews will reconstruct the intersection at US 98/441 (SR 15/700) and SE 18th Terrace to a roundabout. Additional work includes resurfacing US 98/441 (SR 15/700) and 18th Terrace, improving drainage along US 98/441 (SR 15/700), installing streetlights along US 98/441 (SR 15/700), installing curb and gutter, signage and pavement markers. Daytime and nighttime lane closures may occur during construction on US 98/441 (SR 15/700) on US 98/441 (SR 15/700) and 18th Terrace Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 6 a.m., weather permitting.
○ A new traffic pattern is in place on US 98/441. There will be a single 24-hour lane closure on US 98/441. The existing roadway is closed, and motorists will be directed to the newly installed roadway. Only one lane on US 98/441 will be open during this construction phase. Portable traffic signals are placed on each end of the project on US 98/441 to direct motorists when to stop and go. Driveway Assistance Devices have been placed at each driveway within the project limits on SE 18th Terrace and US 98/441 to direct motorists when to merge onto the roadway.
○ The connection to SE 18th Terrace at US 441/98 is closed while construction crews work on the intersection at US 441/98 at SE 18th Terrace. Message boards will advise motorists of the closure. Motorists headed to SE 18th Terrace from US 441/98 will be detoured north on US 98/441 to SE 28th Street (Charles Harvey Highway) to SE 18th Terrace. Please allow extra travel time and use caution in the area.
Please use caution in the area and watch for workers in the construction zone. Estimated completion is summer 2021. The contractor is CWR Contracting, Inc.
• US 441 between canal 59 and 66th Avenue: (Maintenance permit project) Crews are constructing a new pumping station including a new driveway connection to US 441. Watch for workers close to the roadway with shoulder closures. Watch for trucks and equipment entering and leaving the roadway.
• US 441 at NE 9th Street: (Construction project) Crews are installing new traffic signals, signage, and lighting at the intersection. This week, the contractor will be electric services installations. The contractor is Ajax Paving Industries of Florida, LLC. Expected completion is Spring 2021, weather permitting.
• US 441 at 2nd Street: (Utility permit project) Crews are working in the manholes between southeast 2nd Street and southwest Park Street. Watch for a nighttime right lane closure and workers in the roadway.