OKEECHOBEE — State Farm and the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®) have teamed up to promote this year’s Fire Prevention Week™ campaign, “Fire Won’t Wait… Plan Your Escape.™” from Oct. 9-15, to educate everyone about simple but important steps they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe.
State Farm agents are donating 4,400 “fire won’t wait .. Plan your escape” and “Sparky the Fire Dog” fire safety kits to fire departments and elementary schools across the country. In Florida alone, 320 fire kits are being donated by State Farm agents.
“Today’s homes burn faster than ever. In a typical home fire, you may have as little as two minutes (or even less time) to safely escape from the time the smoke alarm sounds. Your ability to get out depends on early warning from working smoke alarms and advance planning,” said Lorraine Carli, vice president of the Outreach and Advocacy division at NFPA.
Florida Fire Departments and your local State Farm agents encourage all residents to actively support fire prevention by developing and practicing a home escape plan with all members of their household. Here are some important Home Fire Escape Safety Tips:
• Make sure your home escape plan meets the needs of all your family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities.
• Smoke alarms should be installed inside every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of your home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds, they all sound.
• Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows open easily.
• Have an outside meeting place a safe distance from your home where everyone should meet.
• Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household, including guests. Practice at least once during the day and at night.
For additional tips and information about Fire Prevention Week visit https://www.nfpa.org/fpw
To download free “Sparky the Fire Dog” educational resource such as videos, games and fire safety lesson plans for elementary school students: https://sparky.org/
Making a Home Fire Escape Plan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohC9HXfryJc
Every Second Counts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc-AkbpdSYk